Exciting New Features and Functionality for the Panasonic GH5
As promised and on time, Panasonic have released the latest firmware update for their GH5 mirrorless camera...Panasonic GH5 Firmware Update 2.0. Earlier this year they gave us Version 1.1 which, amongst other things, gave us FHD 4:2:2 10-bit video recording.
So, what does firmware version 2.0 give us on the Panasonic GH5?
Panasonic GH5 Firmware Update 2.0 Features
- 1Tethered shooting (via USB) using the "LUMIX Tether" PC software.
This new firmware enables GH5 tethered shooting via USB, using "LUMIX Tether" PC software. Users can control the camera by connecting it to a PC via USB. Click here to the LUMIX Tether Download Program
- 2Improved AF performance
- Auto focus performance for subjects with low contrast in photo shooting is improved.
- Tracking auto focus performance in video recording is improved.
- The customized AF area can be continuously displayed in [Multi AF] and [Custom Multi AF] during live-view.
- The AF area in [Multi AF] can be moved to the other edge (side, top or bottom) when it reaches one edge.
- The start point of AF lock can be set on the live view screen in advance in [AF Tracking].
- The AF area can be moved while the shutter button is half-pressed or while recording in [Burst Mode], [6K PHOTO] and [4K PHOTO].
- 3Improved performance in [6K PHOTO] and [4K PHOTO]
- The waiting time to start the next burst shooting sequence after [6K Burst] and [4K Burst] is shortened to less than half the time.
- [Loop Rec] is available in [6K PHOTO].* Use of Panasonic SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 90 is recommended for [Loop Rec] of [6K PHOTO].
- 4An additional ALL-Intra Video Recording mode
- 4:2:2,10-bit ALL-Intra video recording mode is added to 4K/FHD video recording. Use of SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 60 or higher is recommended for 4K ALL-Intra video recording. Operation is confirmed with Panasonic SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 90.
- 54K HDR video recording
- [HLG] (Hybrid Log Gamma) is added to [Photo Style]. HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a mode to reproduce both bright part and dark part in an image, making it look just as human eyes see. The camera records video with a designated gamma curve compatible with ITU-R BT.2100, and you can now choose Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) in [Photo Style].
- A low-bit-rate recording mode 4K HEVC for HLG was added. This enables playback on AV equipment compatible with the HEVC compression format, such as Panasonic 4K HDR TVs.
- 6Enhancement of the Anamorphic video recording mode
- High-Resolution Anamorphic mode, which enables video recording in 18-mega effective pixels, is added.* Recorded in HEVC
- [Anamorphic Desqueeze Display] was added, which lets you view an enlarged image in Cinescope size while recording with 2.0x and 1.33x Anamorphic lens.
- [Video Guide Line] is added to display the image in a variety of aspects, such as Cinescope, 16:9 and 1:1 while recording video. This can be used not only in Anamorphic mode but also in other video recording mode.
- 7Enhancement of Body I.S. (Image Stabilizer)
- [I.S. Lock(video)] is added. This powerfully compensates for handshake when the viewing angle is fixed.
- A new handshake correction mode is added, which provides optimum correction when using 2.0x and 1.33x Anamorphic lens.
- In VFR (Variable Frame Rate) shooting mode, there were cases where the image stabilization did not operate when non-Panasonic interchangeable lens is used. This bug has been fixed.
- 8Correction of white balance setting
- When the K (Kelvin) value was changed after adjusting the colour temperature with 2-axis white balance compensation, the setting was reset. This bug has been fixed.
- 9Improved usability of Time Lapse Shot
- The time to finish shooting and the number of recordable pictures are displayed on the stand-by screen.
- 10Improved usability of Power Save LVF
- Power Save LVF can now be used during all stand-by display options.
- 11Wireless functions
- The Bluetooth Remote Control function can be used with Image App, which will also be updated at the same timing with the GH5 firmware release.
- If the camera has not completed image transmission when it is turned off, it restarts transmission when it is turned on with the [Auto Transfer] function.
- 12Other improvements
- A rating function using a Fn button is available in Playback Zoom and Multi Playback.
- The following functions can be assigned to Fn buttons
- [Constant Preview] [6K/4K PHOTO Bulk Saving] [Min. Shtr Speed] [RAW Processing] [Rec/Playback Switch] [Destination Slot] and [Mic Level Adj.].
- The DISP.Button can be locked. -In Relay Rec, there were cases where the video file number was not able to be reset. This bug has been fixed.
- In Relay Rec, there were cases where the video file number was reset after formatting the SD Memory Card. This bug has been fixed.
- In Backup Rec, there were cases where the file number was not reset even after applying resetting. This bug has been fixed.
- The image quality when applying the following settings is improved: Extended low ISO, [i.Dynamic] (Intelligent D-range Control) and Highlight Shadow
Wow. You have to hand it to Panasonic, they are good to their word and have excelled themselves here. Many tech companies would have been tempted to release a "Mark 5N" or something but nope, Panny have delivered with some cool new features.
Yes, I know these were promised when the GH5 was released and should have been included then but all the same, it still feels like Xmas to me : )
I personally will be doing the update at the weekend after a wedding I am shooting. I don't want to tempt fate (as I have done in the past with the DJI Inspire 1) and have it fail on me without testing first.
What Memory Card do You Need to Use Now?
I would recommend that you buy a V90 type SD card to be able to seamlessly record the new 4K, ALL-Intra, 10 bit, 4:2:2 internal 400mbps data stream without issues.
GH4 firmware update 2.7
Panasonic also gave us a new firmware update for the GH4 too. This was a nice touch and something rarely seen for such an "old" camera.