Mirfak Moin L1 Light Review
A serious contender to the Lume Cube...but how do they compare?
The Mirfak Moin L1 Light is a highly portable and very useful 40mm x 40mm x 40mm bright micro LED light. It features an adjustable colour temperature from 3200K to 5600K and a CRI rating of 90. Plus you have 1000 lumens of brightness and a rechargeable 800mAh Li-Ion battery with 2 hours of life at 100% output.
The light also has an IP68 waterproof rating up to 32.8m and a 1/4" thread and magnet mount.
So the question is, do I think these are better than my Lume Cubes?
Yes and no (but mostly yes). It depends on what you need...power or features.
Note: I was sent these lights to review by Mirfak on request for a review. Please note I only accept products to review once I have checked them out online myself. If I like what I see, I accept. However, if I think the product is sub-standard or I don't think our viewers would like it, I decline.
My first thoughts when I took these out of the box were very good. They seem to be made from a brushed metal/aluminium and feel good and light to the touch. You only get one button on the back for operation which at first glance seems strange. However, you can operate the lights from the free app which is actually very good.
Let Battle Commence!
So let's get straight to it. If you have been pondering over your cube light choices, here is where the Mirfak Light wins over the Lume Cube and vice versa.
Features Where the Mirfak Moin L1 Light Wins
- 1Runs cool at full power
- 2Runs for 2 hours at full power (Lume Cube just under 40 minutes)
- 3Has Super Bright mode for an additional 100% power
- 4Flashes with preset durations including programmable Morse Code (once or repeat)
- 5Can operate flash from App
- 6You can set a "sleep mode" time in app (2/3/4/5 or 6 minutes)
- 7Smaller in construction
- 8Has magnetic rear so will stick easily to metal surfaces (or anything that you attach the supplied and sticky disc to...excellent)
- 9Funky magnetic charging so no cap or cover to take off
- 10Charges very quickly
- 11Each Mirfak cube costs $49 (at B & H Photovideo) vs $79.95 for the Lume Cube and $69.95 for the Lume Cube Air at B & H Photovideo
- 12Accessories are cheaper (i.e. Mirfak - 5 colour filters and circular diffuser $9.99 vs Lume Cube - 4 colour gels $29.99)
Features Where the Lume Cube Wins
- 1Brighter at full power by 500 lumens (although the Mirfak has "Super Bright" mode which increases power by an apparent 100%)
- 2Slightly sturdier construct to the touch (not necessarily stronger though)
- 32 buttons for operation
- 4Flash can be triggered by other flashes or bright lights
- 5App can operate up to 5 Lume Cubes at the same time (Moin Light operates one at a time but both show in the app...you just switch from one to the other)
- 6Has more accessories at the moment (although a fair bit more expensive)
My thoughts on the Mirfak L1 Lights
In a word...superb!
These will work on any drone for night flying so a big tick from me for that but be careful. The magnetic body may interfere with your signal so monitor it carefully. Anyway, my three favourite features that the Mirfak Moin LL1 Lights have over the standard Lume Cubes are these...
- 1Firstly, I love the fact that these little lights have adjustable colour temperatures and pretty good brightness from just 6 LED's. No need for filters for warm skin tone lighting.
- 2Secondly, the very cool magnetic charging is great tech. It means you don't need a screwdriver (or Swiss Army Knife in my case) to take the rear cap off to charge. The charge time is super quick using this method too. Downside is if you lose the cable you can't just grab one of the hundreds of USB cables we all have lying around). You need to buy another magnetic one.
- 3Lastly, but not leastly (new word alert), having a magnetic rear is fantastic. As well as the 1/4" thread which both lights have (Moin and Lume), the magnetic back allows you to attach this light in so many more ways:
What are they good for? How could you use them?
As I said at the beginning, I only accept products to review if they grab my attention. At this price, and with all the cool features, I think you get great value for money in a very handy little light.
(Non affiliate links above)