Another great stock photography topic is Trends and Technology…always changing!
If you ever had doubts stock photography or thought that it is unsustainable or saturated, think about trends and technology.
The smart photographers follow this with a passion and always try to stay one step ahead. Trends and technology are constantly changing and always will, there will always be new things to shoot with different people, in different contexts and scenarios.
Think of the future once again…where are we heading? Bio fuels, electric cars, multimedia players that we can watch anywhere. What about the dangers of wearing headphones and watching videos on the move? How can you incorporate that into your stock photography?
Or elderly people and technology, kids with technology…
A low resolution image of the shot on the right sold for $138.
If you are like most modern families or people, you are bound to have some form of technological goodies and gadgets around the house. Use them, emphasize and incorporate them into your imagery but once again, remember to remove the logos and branding in Adobe Photoshop.
Each year or every time you are stuck for ideas, have a brainstorming session with your partner, friends and family. Ask them for ideas and maybe even ask them to join in the shoot.
Here are some ideas based around technology and possible future trends for the human race:
- I foresee a huge decline in the sales of traditional newspapers in the future. Gadgets like the Amazon Kindle and the ability to receive instant news feeds to your mobile will slowly phase out and/or reduce the need for messy ink and traditional newspapers.
- Cars. We are moving towards a more “planet friendly” environment where the introduction of electric cars and cars powered by alternative fuels slowly hit the market. How can you illustrate this? Are you good at Photoshop, drawings or illustrations?
- Health. Always an issue but where will all this healthy/unhealthy living lead us? Will people finally wake up and do something about their health or will we as a nation/race just get bigger and lazier?
- Technology. Where do you see this heading? What can you expect to happen within one generation? More Wi-Fi gadgetry? Homes becoming linked to a central computer that runs everything? Gaming going 3D or based more around holograms? More human interaction with computers and our brains? Let your imagination run wild!
- What about life in general. Will there be more of us cycling everywhere? Stronger communities formed as we trade locally with each other? More people working from home? More overcrowding in the inner cities? More people leaving your country for sunnier, less stressful climates?
- Crime. As financial crisis hits country after country, will crime increase? Can you depict this in your imagery? Wealth/poverty divide. Is it getting bigger or are the wealthy doing more for others and charities these days?
Think about who writes what about any of these issues. Think about what images they would want to use to best compliment their text. Think about how you can go about making those images and formulate a plan.
All of this can take time…months, years even but think about how you are creating a solid, residual income stream by continually building and adding to your desirable stock images. Multimedia technology is huge now and will only get bigger and more integrated into our everyday lives, and that means ever-changing imagery.
Next Page – Sports