Photographs of people are always a winner and the same goes for families
Another big seller in the world of stock photography. Families.
Everyone has or knows a family. Maybe they would be happy to participate in some photo shoots? You just need to ask. As with the people section, offer prints and DVDs of images in exchange for model releases.
By now, as soon as I say the word families, you should have ideas springing into your head about what you could shoot. Think of situations, contexts and themes once again. You can relate your family images to many of the ideas above in one way or another.
- Young family sitting at a desk being sold life insurance
- Family being photographed
- Family eating in a restaurant/burger bar/cafe/sushi bar
- Family being shown around a new house
- Family being handed keys to a new house
- Family being evicted from new house (sorry, a bit gloomy that one)
- Family on holiday, on the beach, on a boat, on a plane, at the airport…
- Family buying new car
- Family buying second hand car
- Family on bus
- Family buying electric, eco friendly car
I think I can stop listing ideas now as I am sure you get it. When choosing a family, try not to think so much about how they look, they don’t have to be perfect, or what people perceive to be perfect.
Once again, just make sure that they wear clothing that has little or no logos and branding.
Whilst shooting a family think about the message you are trying to put over and think of context, mood, expression, themes…
Don’t have them smiling in every shot, life isn’t like that. Try some arguing, storming out or throwing something (don’t hurt anyone though). Where do you think those images in teenage girls magazines come from? Moody teenagers, now there’s a whole new shoot!
Try all other expressions in different scenarios but if you are doing this as a swap for model releases or a free portrait shoot, make sure you get what the family want first and then continue with your stock shoot. More often than not they will be happy with whatever you produce anyway.
Next Page – Environment