Learn to Shoot Professional Quality Video with the Canon EOS 7D
Video by F-Stop Academy featuring Philip Bloom
Canon EOS 7D Video – Having already watched and reviewed the Canon EOS 5D Mark II version of this series, I thought I had better take a look at the Canon EOS 7D video version too. After all, whilst both cameras are very similar, there are some features of the 7D that the 5D doesn’t have that can make this a good choice for videographers as you will see in the video.
E.g. A 1.6x crop factor which helps with telephoto shots, the ability to shoot stunning slow motion clips and the ability to re-assign buttons.
Ok, this video has a full hour of training which is jam packed with useful tips and info but let me point something out first. This video isn’t just about the 7D…it is also about creating great video clips and footage in general so you are not just learning about the video feature of the EOS 7D, but you are also learning a fair bit about professional videography too.
I have just finished watching this and even though I have been shooting video for a few years now, I still found it very interesting and educational. Philip Bloom is renowned for his incredible skills in being able to produce stunning footage from just about any camera and the tips that he give in this video will enable you to do the same.
The video starts with some beautiful footage taken by the 7D which really whets your appetite and then goes on to cover:
- Cards, sound and accessories – A short overview with more to come later
- Using picture styles and settings for optimum output quality
- Creating a look that can be graded more in post processing rather than a style set by the camera
- Focussing – An excellent section in which I learned a lot
- Monitors – Again, some excellent tips but an expensive add on for the more serious videographers
- Viewfinder – A very important tutorial here and well worth paying attention…great accessory
- Shutter speeds – Something you NEED to know about regarding which shutter speeds to shoot at to prevent poor footage
- Exposure – Some great tips on how to deal with bright light when you want minimal depth of field
- Filters and Matte boxes
- Lenses – Very cool section and great for the 7D
- Support – tripods, shoulder supports and best practices for stable footage
- Frame rates – Again, something you need to know including how to create beautiful slow motion footage from the Canon EOS 7D video…something even the Canon EOS 5D Mark II cannot do!
- Sound – Learn the limitations of the 7D’s audio capabilities and how to get around them, great tips
- These sections are finished off with a short film using all techniques which is in the usual, stunning Philip Bloom style
- Rolling shutter – What is it and how to avoid it
- Flicker – What is it, what causes it and how to combat it
- Night shooting – Shooting time lapse at night with the Canon EOS 7D
- Extras – Philip takes you through the ins and outs of various, additional techniques to produce time lapses, slow motion clips and a bit of workflow
All in all I found this video a pleasure to watch and I know there is plenty for the newcomers to videography (and the more experienced) to learn. If you are looking to:
- Add video clips to wedding photography shoots and slideshows
- Make short home movies
- Create short indie films
- Shoot stock footage and start earning money
- Or even make full, feature length movies
…this DVD will get you on the right track. Recommended!
Prices now reduced from $135 to $79! (digital download)
Promotions now ended…
Video 7D – Disclaimer: I was given a review copy of this DVD by the F-Stop Academy but please rest assured that as with the 5D Mark II video, I would not give this the “thumbs up” for the sake of a sale…If it wasn’t up to scratch, I wouldn’t include it at ATP!